I also did a Rubber Jonnie and bought another computer

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I also did a Rubber Jonnie and bought another computer

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:30 pm Kung-Fu cart now ordered from The Future Was 8 Bit :-)
You are SO turning into me!!!

:lol:
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Hehe. I'll try not to be totally you, OK. That'd be creepy. :-)

Anyway, just checked the original power supply and that's all fine, except for a horror story inside the mains plug. The neutral was hanging out and the live was about to leave the connector. The screws hadn't been tightened! Goodness knows how it even worked.

Interestingly, as a UK built machine (looking through the ports) there is zero shielding inside. No steel or foil covered cardboard.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:46 pm Hehe. I'll try not to be totally you, OK. That'd be creepy. :-)

Anyway, just checked the original power supply and that's all fine, except for a horror story inside the mains plug. The neutral was hanging out and the live was about to leave the connector. The screws hadn't been tightened! Goodness knows how it even worked.
Hehehe

I believe there is a passthru device for these old PSUs that will stop them killing the C64 if they go bad.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:48 pm
stephen_usher wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:46 pm Hehe. I'll try not to be totally you, OK. That'd be creepy. :-)

Hehehe

I believe there is a passthru device for these old PSUs that will stop them killing the C64 if they go bad.
Yeah. You can make one up easily. You just need a high current 5.2V, 500mW Zener diode and a 3A quick-blow fuse. DIN socket for input and DIN plug for output. If the voltage goes above 5.2V the Zener turns on and the fuse blows.

P.S. The alternative is that you ignore the original 5V supply, rectify the 9V AC from the PSU and make your own 5V supply.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:58 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:48 pm

Hehehe

Yeah. You can make one up easily. You just need a high current 5.2V, 500mW Zener diode and a 3A quick-blow fuse. DIN socket for input and DIN plug for output. If the voltage goes above 5.2V the Zener turns on and the fuse blows.

P.S. The alternative is that you ignore the original 5V supply, rectify the 9V AC from the PSU and make your own 5V supply.
Sounds like you have a plan :)
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Nah, I have a new power supply. :-)
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:08 pm Nah, I have a new power supply. :-)
:dualthumbup:
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

My goodness. Isn't C64 BASIC rudimentary?

No sound commands and no line drawing commands. You have to manually POKE stuff into memory just to do basic stuff. How did they manage to get away with that and selling so many? I guess no-one programmed in BASIC.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:10 pm My goodness. Isn't C64 BASIC rudimentary?

No sound commands and no line drawing commands. You have to manually POKE stuff into memory just to do basic stuff. How did they manage to get away with that and selling so many? I guess no-one programmed in BASIC.
The VIC-20 is much the same, really no easy way to do stuff in BASIC, all peek and poke. For the C64, something like the Simons BASIC cart is what's needed. There is another extended BASIC cart that is similar too, both from Commodore.

When you consider Commodore BASIC is a rebranded Microsoft BASIC you'd have thought it might be better, a bit like the other MS BASIC variants about at the time.
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

Heh. If you want a decent BASIC, get the C128.

It wasn't a bad thing though. Poking to memory mapped locations and no real sound commands sort of threw you into learning assembly from the off instead of the dog's dinner BASIC.

Remember, back then, computers were for technically minded folk/enthusiasts, not for general 'consumers'. :)

(As an aside, I even have an Osbourne book for children from back in the day (early/mid 80s) which shows the fundamentals of coding/data/busses/CPUs...they just don't make them like that any more).

It also helped that the PRG for that machine was very good, with assembly examples.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”