Whoops, I did it again! VIC-20 on the way...

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
BennehBoy

Re: Whoops, I did it again! VIC-20 on the way...

Post by BennehBoy »

Going OT slightly (OK, quite a lot), but speaking of computers we used in our youth, my first job out of Uni was as the IT technician in a high school. I spent a lot of time working with BBC master & various Archimedes models. I inherited a non working Econet network with Acorn Filestore which I got up and running, later upgraded that to one running on an Arch, then later upgraded all the Archimedes onto thin wire ethernet, connect to an NT server. I'd love to get my hands on some of that stuff to play about with.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

BennehBoy wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:30 am Going OT slightly (OK, quite a lot), but speaking of computers we used in our youth, my first job out of Uni was as the IT technician in a high school. I spent a lot of time working with BBC master & various Archimedes models. I inherited a non working Econet network with Acorn Filestore which I got up and running, later upgraded that to one running on an Arch, then later upgraded all the Archimedes onto thin wire ethernet, connect to an NT server. I'd love to get my hands on some of that stuff to play about with.
After leaving the RAF I became a field service engineer for a company called Research Machines, looking after IT in schools across Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex.

Some of my first jobs were remote booting Windows 3.11 machines on a coax network with a Microsoft OS/2 server providing the RPL services. Interesting times!

You know you could get some Arch stuff quite easily, it's out there :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy »

We had some RM stuff also.

I did a lot of work on remote booting when I worked in a University, we used boot roms and had dual BOOT machines where on first netboot they would download a local WFWG & Win95 image, the machine could be locally or remotely rebuilt from that, or re-imaged from the network. It was surprisingly quick, all delivered from Netware 4 servers. All dead tech these days.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

BennehBoy wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:06 am We had some RM stuff also.

I did a lot of work on remote booting when I worked in a University, we used boot roms and had dual BOOT machines where on first netboot they would download a local WFWG & Win95 image, the machine could be locally or remotely rebuilt from that, or re-imaged from the network. It was surprisingly quick, all delivered from Netware 4 servers. All dead tech these days.
Yeah, I did some Netware too, hideous!!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy »

Have you bought any cartridges yet? :D
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

BennehBoy wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:22 am Have you bought any cartridges yet? :D
Not as yet :) Though I did look up Omega Race and it is quite cheap.

I'm looking at options for RAM carts with SD included.
BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy »

Ooh, that sounds interesting, I'll go search...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

derkom wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:18 am
BennehBoy wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:52 am But nothing beats being able to browse 1000's of choices at the push of a button
I don't disagree, but there is still something magic about flipping through a big clunky plastic box full of floppies, especially if they're 5.25", which have a unique smell not found anywhere else.
So, maybe a project... A box which looks like a floppy drive into which you can slide fake floppies with a bar code at one end.

You push the fake floppy into the "drive" which presses a microswitch and causes the system to scan the bar code and select the correct floppy image on the intelligent storage device, making it available to the computer as a virtual disk.

:-)

Of course, if you're rich you could go for RFID tags.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:31 am
derkom wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:18 am

I don't disagree, but there is still something magic about flipping through a big clunky plastic box full of floppies, especially if they're 5.25", which have a unique smell not found anywhere else.
So, maybe a project... A box which looks like a floppy drive into which you can slide fake floppies with a bar code at one end.

You push the fake floppy into the "drive" which presses a microswitch and causes the system to scan the bar code and select the correct floppy image on the intelligent storage device, making it available to the computer as a virtual disk.

:-)

Of course, if you're rich you could go for RFID tags.
I seem to recall somebody did something like this for I think a NES RPi recreation. They made a whole miniature NES and added miniature cartridges that did something as you describe, possibly using barcodes.

The whole thing was pretty cool and I have no doubt something similar could be done for a disk drive :) Just needs somebody with more time and skill than me :)
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I had an interesting problem with the VIC last night.

Whilst saving to cassette, the internal fuse blew, a 3A/250v antisurge. I had no 3A replacements, and couldn't find my little bag of fuses, so I nicked a 2A one from an old ST PSU. That blew too, though not surprising as rated 1A less.

Both fuses were old though, originals as far as I could tell.

It was then I found my little back of fuses, but they were also 2A, however they were new, and so far it's been just fine.

I've heard stories of fuses 'aging' and wondered if this may have been the case, and wondered if anybody else had experience of this?

I now have the correct fuses on order :)

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”