NetBSD 7.1 on the Atari TT

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

NetBSD 7.1 on the Atari TT

Post by Icky »

Well this weekend I fancied watching paint dry and thats what I did. :ball:

I decided to have a go at installing NetBSD on the Atari TT. Little did I know that this task was going to take around 40 hours to complete.

I found two sources to help with the install: The install started off well with the two install boot floppies then the slowdown began. The install I chose pulled all the install files from the NetBSD atari port ftp site. All worked fine with the NetUsbBee card but I left it running over night and it was just finished in the morning.

Rebooting after installation then resulted in several points where the first boot was generating certs for the ssh tools and also the font cache was updating for over 4 hours.

That said now its first boot is complete NetBSD boots and is useable. I still have a way to go to get the X Windows up and running but I intend to share the 4GB image online for others to use and not have to go through the pain of a long wait.

Boot screen after memory test:
IMG_2659.JPG
IMG_2659.JPG (2.06 MiB) Viewed 13601 times

Logged in (this was the first login before setting up user account):
IMG_2657.JPG
IMG_2657.JPG (2.1 MiB) Viewed 13601 times

Currently the TT is compiling several packages for the X Windows to work. Will keep you posted as to the progress and when I have an image to share.
rpineau

Re: NetBSD 7.1 on the Atari TT

Post by rpineau »

Nicely done.
:bravo:
Working ones : MegaSTE (68020) / TT030 / Falcon with AB040 & Eclipse / 1040STF
Need testing : Falcon with CT2
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Wow... 10 meg of ST RAM? How much TT RAM?

Still, nice to see a modern UNIX running. The X server will take quite a few days to compile. I remember doing so in the 90s on a Sun SPARCstation 10 under SunOS 4.1.x, and that took about 3 days.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

stephen_usher wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:38 pm Wow... 10 meg of ST RAM? How much TT RAM?

Still, nice to see a modern UNIX running. The X server will take quite a few days to compile. I remember doing so in the 90s on a Sun SPARCstation 10 under SunOS 4.1.x, and that took about 3 days.
10MB of ST-Ram was one of the first upgrades I performed on my TT - see post here https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... f=15&t=357

I currently have 128MB of TT-Ram on a MegTT board.

Thanks for the heads up - I guess my TT is going to be on for a few days
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

A bit more progress... :)

I have the X Windows running now on the native Atari TT video

Seeing this screen on the TT was a great step forward
IMG_2660.JPG
IMG_2660.JPG (4.34 MiB) Viewed 13556 times

I finally go the twm window manager running too
IMG_2664.JPG
IMG_2664.JPG (1.97 MiB) Viewed 13556 times

On the web I found Izumi Tsutsui has compiled an accelerated binary of X for the ET4000 card but as I have an ATIMach64 I am looking to compile a binary to get this working. Izumi Tsutsui's files: - ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/ts ... ari.tar.gz. When done I will have the image of NetBSD where the default is the TT native display and swapping the X symbolic link to the relevant graphic card compiled X binary will allow the use of the various graphics cards.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Very cool man! I will definitely give you images a shot once you're finished. I'm glad to hear you'll do an et4000 version too, awesome!
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Steve wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:49 pm Very cool man! I will definitely give you images a shot once you're finished. I'm glad to hear you'll do an et4000 version too, awesome!
Thanks - As with most of us here I am trying to do this round my day job. The compiling on the actual TT is taking way too long. I have just built up a NetBSD VM instance so I can do cross-compile building of the sources with a bit more CPU speed.

I am in the process of getting the ET4000 up and running and will post a screenshot as soon as I am there.

My lofty goal is to try and get NetBSD running with a Gnome or KDE desktop. I am not sure if it will be useable.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

A little update:

I have been spending time building a VMware NetBSD 7.1 environment so that I can do a cross build.

So far I have managed to build complete distro fileset for the Atari TT and have started to optimise the kernel.

Currently I am working to build the various X files and get the ET4000 card working.

I had to do this as rebooting, building etc on the TT was painful.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

To add a few more references as I am working around the web standing on the shoulders of giants (there is a lot of good work people have done in the past around NetBSD and all the people on this forum with software and hardware. I am only a mere tinkerer of tech).

Reference to installing source files to be able to cross build on: Great source of Atari TT NetBSD information: My current stumbling blocks I am working on:
  • Getting Server to work with the ET4000 card I have. Kernel recognises the card but am currently getting crashes with the Xserver
  • Building a decent window manager for X on NetBSD am currently trying to cross compile KDE and xcfe
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

I have just installed a Storm (256MB) and Thunder card today (brilliant pieces of kit) and tried to boot the NetBSD 7.1 image with them. The boot was so much faster but it did not succeed. The AtariTT kernel does not have the Falcon IDE interface code in it. I will have to create an additional AtariTT-Thunder-kernel for NetBSD to boot and run from the Thunder IDE interface.

Thunder and Storm card installed with 256MB and an SD to IDE adaptor
fullsizeoutput_25d.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_25d.jpeg (3.53 MiB) Viewed 11458 times

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”