NetBSD 7.1 on the Atari TT

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
Steve

Re: NetBSD 7.1 on the Atari TT

Post by Steve »

It's been a few months, any news on your project? :)
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Steve wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:00 pm It's been a few months, any news on your project? :)
Hi Steve.

Well the STF Remake got in the way at the end of 2018 :oops:

I guess I need to turn this beast back on and get back in the groove :)
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hi @Icky I hope you might get time in the new year to work on this a bit more :) Good luck with everything
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Steve wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:51 pm Hi @Icky I hope you might get time in the new year to work on this a bit more :) Good luck with everything
I did have a tinker with it to see where I had got to just before packing the TT away for the move. At the moment the TT is safe at my parents' house and will be picking up in the New Year so should be able to take a look back at this soon.
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

I had a go with this because, you know, christmas. Couldn't make it work either on Hatari or IRL.

Using a Falcon on IDE, I got to the boot loader. Held down right shift as advised, but then couldn't come up with any combination of keywords that did anything useful.

Has anyone had any more joy with this? I did have NetBSD running a couple of years back, but lost my installation. Fancied seeing how the state of the art had come along. :-)

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
viking272

Post by viking272 »

Many years ago I got a Linux version working on my Falcon with X-Windows. It had most tools and I compiled a few others.
It was very sluggish on 4MB RAM device. I followed a guide that was in a magazine at the time.
On a TT and Fast/Alt-RAM it should be useable!
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

viking272 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:01 pm Many years ago I got a Linux version working on my Falcon with X-Windows. It had most tools and I compiled a few others.
It was very sluggish on 4MB RAM device. I followed a guide that was in a magazine at the time.
On a TT and Fast/Alt-RAM it should be useable!
I've had an old 2.x kernel from 1998ish booting on a stock Falcon. With a 1998 Debian install I reckon it could have just been usable (although I didn't try X). I tried a more modern install (maybe late 2000s era?) and all the crypto stuff killed it. I would log in, but it'd take ten minutes and the initial boot up was half an hour wait or so whilst keys were generated!

I did try to get it going again with my booster board, but would need to jump through all the hoops again. The boostrap program doesn't like TT-RAM for the kernel, and the initial RAM disc is too large to fit in ST RAM.

Filed that for another day. But a disc image of BSD was far too tempting :)

BW
Steve

Post by Steve »

@Badwolf Imagine installing Linux/BSD on a Falcon and then compiling Hatari and running it in Falcon mode... INCEPTION!
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

Steve wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:12 am @Badwolf Imagine installing Linux/BSD on a Falcon and then compiling Hatari and running it in Falcon mode... INCEPTION!
I compiled EmuTOS (512k single language) a couple of times on my Falcon last week. 6 and a half hours each time!

You must have more holiday than me. ;)

BW
thorsten.otto

Post by thorsten.otto »

Since this is currently also discussed on atari-forum:

@Icky: do you have a way to verify that newer versions (currently 9.2, but also everything >= 8.0) work on real hardware? We have problems getting them work in Hatari and Aranym (for Aranym, only the FALCON kernel, since it only emulates a 040).

Ah, never mind. Christian already tested that, and proved that the 9.2 kernel boots on both TT and Falcon. Only thing that is unknown whether the Falcon kernel still works on 040 machines.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”