General Stuff(tm)

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
stephen_usher

Re: General Stuff(tm)

Post by stephen_usher »

Beauty shot.

IMG_2751.jpg
IMG_2751.jpg (292.26 KiB) Viewed 874 times
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Oh well, the heads stuck again. I'll have to get find another drive.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

It's cooled down enough now to get the Falcon on the bench.

Definitely no clock patch installed.

It has 4MB sticker on the box yet the internal memory board isn't an Atari branded one. It's an Actionsoft 4MB/14MB board with a 72 pin SIMM.

Unfortunately I don't have any 16MB 72 pin SIMMs in stock so I've had to order one from eBay.

It looks like all the stuff for this will arrive at work after the end of the week, when I go away on holiday, so this machine will have to be a project for after I get back.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

i just tried the 128MB CF card + adapter which didn't work with the TF536 and it all works. No need for a spinny disk now.
alexh

Post by alexh »

stephen_usher wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:21 pm Unfortunately I don't have any 16MB 72 pin SIMMs in stock so I've had to order one from eBay.
Atari Falcon is very picky about which type of 72 pin SIMMs it will work with.

http://atari-falcons.blogspot.com/2010/ ... astic.html

The chips on the SIMM have to be 4Mx4 and not 2Mx8.
Principal ASIC Engineer - SystemVerilog, VHDL
Thalion Webshrine - http://thalion.atari.org
STf,STfm,STe,MegaST,MegaSTe,Falcon060
A500+,A600,A4000/060,CD32,CDTV
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Thanks for that. We'll see what happens when the SIMMs turn up. I won't have the space issue that the blog writer had as the SIMM slot is on the underneath of this adapter.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Slowly getting there with the Falcon.

The CF card works well and with HDDriver 10.10 I'm getting about 2.9MB/s, which is a bit less than half my broadband download speed. :-)

I've run the Falcon clock test program and that shows green, which suggests that I don't currently need the patch, though I may fit it anyway.

I've also ordered an Exxos clock chip replacement, though I'm not sure where I'll get the odd sized coin cell at the moment, but I can worry about that later, after my holiday. Actually, pretty well everything now will have to wait until after the holiday.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Quick question:

If you use the FSOUND.CPX control panel and double-click on the head should you hear the test bong as you do on the TT and STE? Should it be mixed into the audio sent over the RF? I'm hearing nothing.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

My goodness. It's basically impossible to find DB-19 female plugs isn't it?!

Had to buy one of the PCB mount ACSI DB-19 thingies from the Exxos shop in the end and I'll have to hacksaw off the nuts so that it can fit the Falcon video port.

Why did Atari use such an awkward connector and not just a VGA connector?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

stephen_usher wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:19 pm My goodness. It's basically impossible to find DB-19 female plugs isn't it?!
Indeed.
stephen_usher wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:19 pm Had to buy one of the PCB mount ACSI DB-19 thingies from the Exxos shop in the end and I'll have to hacksaw off the nuts so that it can fit the Falcon video port.
IIRC they just unscrew.. I use them on the Falcon2VGA adapters so they have to uncrews else they wouldn't fit.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”