General Stuff(tm)

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
stephen_usher

Re: General Stuff(tm)

Post by stephen_usher »

Thanks!
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Well, none of the stuff I've ordered for the Falcon has arrived before I go on holiday but the Jaguar SCART cable has amazingly as I ordered that almost last.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I've finally found a use for the NetUSBee-lite.. It works on the Falcon :-)

Now, lets transfer a demo or two over the net.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

All the retro packed away this morning as this afternoon/evening I'm off on my hols for a fortnight.

I've had to pack it away as I have to set up my gaming laptop ready to take and after three months switched off it needs about half a day to get all the updates installed and the battery recharged. MSI gaming laptops really drain their batteries when they're switched off. It will last about 3-4 days on a full charge before the battery is empty!

Of course, after the Windows updates there are the nVidia graphics driver updates, then Steam updates, then Steam game updates... And on and on.

I wonder how many megatons of Carbon Dioxide computer updates generate per day in wasted energy.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

And... I'm back from my holiday.

I'll pop into work in the morning to collect all the stuff which arrived over the last couple of weeks. The quickest things to test will be the 16MB 72 pin SIMMs to see if the Falcon turns its nose up when they're installed.
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

stephen_usher wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:27 pm And... I'm back from my holiday.

I'll pop into work in the morning to collect all the stuff which arrived over the last couple of weeks. The quickest things to test will be the 16MB 72 pin SIMMs to see if the Falcon turns its nose up when they're installed.
If you can bear to hang on and are coming down for the event next month, Ive got a 40x3.5" floppy box case(!) full of 30/72 pin simm/dimms you can rifle through (I think @Steve may be wanting to find some EDO/FP RAM in there too IIRC).

You are free to test them out at the show, if thats any help.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I'm sure rifling will be fun. I'm not sure what to do about testing them though.
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

stephen_usher wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:08 pm I'm sure rifling will be fun. I'm not sure what to do about testing them though.
Are you able to bring the F030/RAM board to the show and test on site?
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I'd prefer not to open up the machine at the show, if you don't mind. Not only is it a danger to the machine but the PSU is exposed so it's a shock hazard.
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

stephen_usher wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:08 pm I'd prefer not to open up the machine at the show, if you don't mind. Not only is it a danger to the machine but the PSU is exposed so it's a shock hazard.
You are quite right.

I should not really be in any way encouraging any sort of action that involves shocks, hazards or site electrical failures!

Other than that, it's a painful process of finding the IC numbers/manufacturer information, then looking online for any datasheets.

I will try to think of a better solution. :coffee:

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”