General Stuff(tm)

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
stephen_usher

Re: General Stuff(tm)

Post by stephen_usher »

Pretty easy as they were used for a great number of machines, including the TRS80 etc. They're Tandon TM-100-2 drives.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

With a little help from my friends:

Almost boots:

ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Well, it's not the 74LS243s as I've swapped them as they were socketed.

The next thing I might do is convert the .IMD files I have for Kaypro boot disks into .HFE files and hook up a Gotek to take any potential floppy issues out of the picture. It will also allow me to test a large variety of images in case it's a ROM compatibility issue with the boot image causing the hang. It removes another variable.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:40 pm Well, it's not the 74LS243s as I've swapped them as they were socketed.

The next thing I might do is convert the .IMD files I have for Kaypro boot disks into .HFE files and hook up a Gotek to take any potential floppy issues out of the picture. It will also allow me to test a large variety of images in case it's a ROM compatibility issue with the boot image causing the hang. It removes another variable.
Definitely worth a go.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I've found a disk image which will boot to the prompt now...

IMG_3571.jpeg
IMG_3571.jpeg (244.57 KiB) Viewed 139 times

But it's not reading the keyboard.

I can see fro the oscilloscope that the machine is receiving data on the keyboard interface so I will have to see where that goes and if there's a problem somewhere down the line.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

The keyboard data is getting to the SIO chip.

Of course the questions now are, is it the correct data and is the SIO chip working?
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:37 pm The keyboard data is getting to the SIO chip.

Of course the questions now are, is it the correct data and is the SIO chip working?
It's not a foam and foil conductive pad keyboard is it? They are notorious for failing over time.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

It wouldn't be sending data to the computer if the key switches weren't working.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

The keyboard is sending out ASCII values for the key presses, so that's fine.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I found an image which did a DIR listing at boot:

IMG_3572.jpeg
IMG_3572.jpeg (181.08 KiB) Viewed 123 times

All good on the display side except the deflection coils could do with rotating a little bit as the image isn't horizontal.

Wrote the data to a real floppy and...

IMG_3573.jpeg
IMG_3573.jpeg (268.38 KiB) Viewed 123 times

It boots faster with a real floppy vs. the Gotek strangely.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”