General Stuff(tm)

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
stephen_usher

Re: General Stuff(tm)

Post by stephen_usher »

The Mean Well is here, but my brain isn't as I've hardly slept for the last couple of nights.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:00 pm The Mean Well is here, but my brain isn't as I've hardly slept for the last couple of nights.
I can relate to the no sleeping, it's been the same for me too. Hope you get some Zzzzz's soon.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I got back early from my birthday meal so pressed on with the Kaypro power supply.

Mounted the Mean Well to the adapter plate and epoxyed the original connector to the plate as well

IMG_3562.jpeg
IMG_3562.jpeg (101.66 KiB) Viewed 144 times
IMG_3563.jpeg
IMG_3563.jpeg (91.74 KiB) Viewed 144 times
IMG_3564.jpeg
IMG_3564.jpeg (107.08 KiB) Viewed 144 times

Then wired it all up, tested the voltages, tested again and triple checked.

Plugged it all in...

Turned on the power and...

BANG! BANG! BANG! FLASH!

Lots of explosions and sparks from the two Shugart floppy drives!

My first thought was, "Have I messed up?" Tested the voltages again and all fine. Then I realised... tantalums!!! Flippin tantalums on the 12V rail of the floppy drives. *sigh*

Disconnected the power to the drives and switched on...

IMG_3565.jpeg
IMG_3565.jpeg (196.98 KiB) Viewed 144 times

Yay!!! A working Kaypro, well except for the floppies.

I'll have to find out what values they should be and fit replacements.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Yaaay.

Birthday fireworks and a booting Kaypro, what more could you ask for :)
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Hehe.

Well, some Imperial allen keys would be useful, so I can get the flippin' drives out!
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

It wouldn't be the same without the fireworks :fire1:
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

:)
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

The Imperial allen keys arrived via Amazon Prime so I've managed to get the floppy drives out of the Kaypro....

Soooooooo many tantalums! All 4.7uF 35V and all shorted. The explodified one is on the 5V rail surprisingly.

IMG_3567.jpeg
IMG_3567.jpeg (397.53 KiB) Viewed 89 times
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:01 pm The Imperial allen keys arrived via Amazon Prime so I've managed to get the floppy drives out of the Kaypro....

Soooooooo many tantalums! All 4.7uF 35V and all shorted. The explodified one is on the 5V rail surprisingly.

IMG_3567.jpeg
Oooh, that one really blew it's top! Not like it for the 5v rail though really, but hey ho, it is a tantalum :)

Did both drives go?
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Yes, in the same way.

I've replaced them all with 10uF 16V electrolytics as they're just doing bulk capacitance.

The drives now run, though getting the motors and spindle to free up was "fun". The spindles are running at the correct speed but there are dead spots on the motors which means if they stop at a specific location the motor doesn't start and this is the same on both drives, but affects drive B more.

I *think* I've made a boot floppy using ImageDisk on my Win98 box and a 1.2MB drive but it's not booting. It sees the disk but can't read it. Now this could be due to the drive or the format or the images I have. Without a known good system I can't tell.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”