Granlunds FrankenSTein

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
Badwolf

Re: Granlunds FrankenSTein

Post by Badwolf »

agranlund wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:03 pm I owe a huge thank you to Terriblefire for his awesome accelerator! :)
This is true & I concur. His cards spurred me into finally setting off to design and build my Falcon card. On which, incidentally, I’ve just been installing your Day Of The Tentacle port.

We also owe you a big thank you for all the software work that makes these boosted machines a little more interesting. From Fastram.prg to Basilisk II and the ScummVM ports, my hard disc has a lot of agranlund code on it!

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

This has been one epic journey for you ST @agranlund. I know you have put it all back together but would like to see a final pic of the setup as a recap as am tempted to upgrade my old 520ST similarly.
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

Icky wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:47 pm This has been one epic journey for you ST @agranlund. I know you have put it all back together but would like to see a final pic of the setup as a recap as am tempted to upgrade my old 520ST similarly.
It absolutely has! There's always more things one wants to do of course, does a project ever really end? :lol:
I'd like to finish the Ethernet part one of these days, and also experiment with the 16Mhz ST-Bus mod.

I found some pictures I made a while back and they're pretty much exactly how it still looks today.
So I very much wanted to try and keep everything as neat and tidy as possible but I'll admit that whole part around the graphics card sure is a bit unsightly :oops:

I'm really happy, and quite frankly a little proud, of how it turned out externally with the VGA and audio connector though.

st_guts_01.jpg
st_guts_01.jpg (143.1 KiB) Viewed 1204 times
st_guts_02.jpg
st_guts_02.jpg (178.51 KiB) Viewed 1204 times
st_external.jpeg
st_external.jpeg (65.82 KiB) Viewed 1204 times
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

Badwolf wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:18 am We also owe you a big thank you for all the software work that makes these boosted machines a little more interesting. From Fastram.prg to Basilisk II and the ScummVM ports, my hard disc has a lot of agranlund code on it!
ouch, agranlund code is the code I trust the least :lol:

I'm happy to be able to contribute with something though and it's very nice when others find the software useful.
This forum got me started tinkering with my machine and it feels nice to be able to give something back :)
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

But will it run DOOM!? I hear the entire crowd eagerly ask.

And to that, I can happily confirm that yes! It will (very badly) run some port of doom that I found online :lol:

DOOM.GIF
DOOM.GIF (41.19 KiB) Viewed 1118 times

It uses all of those hundreds of colours so the desktop ends up looking quite funky but the game looks fine.
Input seem to not work correctly or maybe I just haven't set the correct SDL environment variables, I'm not keen on actually playing 8fps Doom so it doesn't matter much :)
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

A whole eight frames per second?! 386 PC owners would love to get that high a frame rate! :-)
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

stephen_usher wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:25 pm A whole eight frames per second?! 386 PC owners would love to get that high a frame rate! :-)
:lol: :lol:

That’s just way too many frames for me these days :)

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”