derkom's doings

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
derkom

Re: Bell & Howell SR-II microfiche reader

Post by derkom »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:40 pm Crikey, I remember using these things somewhere. Where though, is another matter!!
I remember using them quite a bit at the library back in the 1980s, when looking up old newspaper articles. The fancier ones even had photocopier hardware built in and could print off paper copies of whatever was on the screen, but this one is just the basic model. There's not much to it.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: derkom's doings

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I worked in a car repair place, it may have been there for parts lookup, or possibly the library.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
derkom

Post by derkom »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:29 pm I worked in a car repair place, it may have been there for parts lookup
I bet you're right, because when I looked on eBay for microfiche to use with it, almost everything is car and motorcycle parts. :lol:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Oh cool, must have been that then 😁
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
derkom

Post by derkom »

srii-002.jpeg
srii-002.jpeg (73.88 KiB) Viewed 1489 times

I took it all apart and cleaned up everything, and it looks great now. The only parts that will need replacement are the rubber feet, which have disintegrated pretty badly.

I ordered a couple of lightbulbs from UK and also a cheap microfiche of Honda motorcycle parts. Will update when the bits arrive. :D
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Looking very tidy now.
derkom

Post by derkom »

Now that I got the Portfolio 2 off my desk, I finally had space to finish up my Speedy TT (daughterboard version) installation.

speedy1.jpeg
speedy1.jpeg (106.72 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
speedy2.jpeg
speedy2.jpeg (109.97 KiB) Viewed 1074 times

As advised in the installation instructions, I had to stick an extra VG96 connector into the TT-RAM stack in order to make the Thunder and Storm clear the new Speedy TT board. Not mentioned in the instructions, I had to trim about 4 mm off all the pins on the extra connector in order to get it to sit as low as possible into the TT-RAM port on the motherboard, otherwise my 3 cm SIMMs wouldn't fit with the case closed. Could probably replace those with 2 cm SIMMs, but clipping legs is a cheaper option. :lol:

ttgb20220713.jpeg
ttgb20220713.jpeg (118.19 KiB) Viewed 1074 times

Nice! That's with the CPU, FPU, and TT-RAM clocked at 48 MHz (thank you @exxos for a better FPU than the one Atari gave me!).
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

derkom wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:00 pm Now that I got the Portfolio 2 off my desk, I finally had space to finish up my Speedy TT (daughterboard version) installation.

Looks very nice indeed.

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

Very nice. I think I will likely grab one of these at some point.

@derkom was there ANY soldering to be done for this daughterboard CPU version?
derkom

Post by derkom »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:18 pm was there ANY soldering to be done for this daughterboard CPU version?
Yes, it does require* a bit of soldering, even for the daughterboard version. On daughterboard TTs, there's a factory bodge on the bottom of the board, providing the FPU with a 32 MHz clock from the shifter. This needs to be disconnected and a new wire must be soldered between the Speedy and the clock pin on the FPU on the underside of the board.

* You might be able to get away without actually soldering here. The shifter end of the factory bodge does need to be desoldered from the shifter, but as the wire at least on mine is long enough to reach around to the Speedy, and the connection on the Speedy end is a dupont style connector which can just crimp on, you might manage to reuse the factory bodge wire here and only need to desolder, not solder.

However, changing the speed of the FPU away from 32 MHz does require some soldering skills, because there are solder blob jumpers on the Speedy board. The default Speedy setup is 32 MHz FPU, so if you're satisfied with that, you don't need to solder anything. But if you want the 48 MHz FPU, you would need to change these jumpers. This raises the question of what would happen if you simply left the FPU connected to the shifter's 32 MHz clock, rather than rerouting it to the Speedy board's variable FPU clock output, and the answer is "I don't know".

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”