Stuff and Things.

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
PhilC

Re: Stuff and Things.

Post by PhilC »

Might be a dodgy DMA but do the usual exxos recommended pullups etc first.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

PhilC wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:29 am Might be a dodgy DMA but do the usual exxos recommended pullups etc first.
Nah, make sure cable plugged in right way first ;)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

@exxos @PhilC Yeah, it worked just fine a few months back, so maybe it's just because it just came out of hibernation and is a bit fuzzy......

Cable is correct, I'm using an SMD380 (Correctly jumpered BTW, and working on the H4) which will only allow for the cable to fit one way, and it's an original ST floppy cable attached to the board. It does start to seek, then just freezes with the busy light on.

I need to replace the pull ups for 2.2k anyway so can do the DMA pullups then, and I want to socket as many chips as possible so I can use it for testing other chips, and that original floppy connector is going to go in the bin and be replaced by a new socket and freshly minted cable. The desolder gun needs every opportunity for me to use it :)

Seems like a bit of a work creation scheme to me, but whatever floats your boat.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

PhilC wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:29 am Might be a dodgy DMA but do the usual exxos recommended pullups etc first.
Come on @PhilC .... all retro problems can't be a dodgy DMA chip.. Worked fine last month? Hmm... ;) ;) ;)
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PaulJ wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:22 pm
Come on @PhilC .... all retro problems can't be a dodgy DMA chip.. Worked fine last month? Hmm... ;) ;) ;)
@PaulJ I guess it could be longer than a month, all that stuff with the H4 and the Mega 4 (Maybe I should avoid stuff with 4 in the name?) did seem to have a strange effect on time....
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:39 pm
PaulJ wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:22 pm

@PaulJ I guess it could be longer than a month, all that stuff with the H4 and the Mega 4 (Maybe I should avoid stuff with 4 in the name?) did seem to have a strange effect on time....
Don't know RJ, maybe "4" is your lucky number. You did persevere and get it all running. :shrug: :shrug:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PaulJ wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:50 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:39 pm

Don't know RJ, maybe "4" is your lucky number. You did persevere and get it all running. :shrug: :shrug:
@PaulJ And I even enjoyed it!! The sense of acheivement at the end was great :)
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@PaulJ All DMAs are dodgy :lol:

(Only had the one fail actually and was a last resort change but it worked.)
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

PhilC wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:30 pm @PaulJ All DMAs are dodgy :lol:

(Only had the one fail actually and was a last resort change but it worked.)
Never really had a chip issue.. but I've had loads of socket issues. If I had a machine that was just to use I would like to eliminate all sockets. Maybe I'll build another H4 with the SMT glue and emu and eliminate all other sockets that I can. When I'm constantly futzing with a board the sockets are nice. Guest I can have it both ways. :chairsmack:
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

I can totally understand @PaulJ , sockets have caused me such a lot of grief but in reality, it's almost a case of can't live with them, can't live without them.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”