Stuff and Things.

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
HigashiJun

Re: Stuff and Things.

Post by HigashiJun »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:39 am Out of about 10 people, only one went through, so I wasn't alone
Yeah, getting DANs is not an easy task...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

HigashiJun wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:59 am
rubber_jonnie wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:39 am Out of about 10 people, only one went through, so I wasn't alone
Yeah, getting DANs is not an easy task...
Yeah, it certainly isn't, and having some physical issues, it makes it quite a bit harder. It'll be 5 years since I got my 1st Dan in December, plus my 17th anniversary of being with the club, so I'm hoping the stars will align in 6 months time.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

@rubber_jonnie

:dualthumbup:
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

I went to a Karate lesson last week with my daughter. First time in around 30 years.
Surprising how even in that hour, things came flooding back. 2 people asked if I had trained in Shotokan (this new school is a different style).

We watched Karate Kid (80s one) last night and she liked that. This was what got me into it all those years ago 😁
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Higgy wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:06 pm I went to a Karate lesson last week with my daughter. First time in around 30 years.
Surprising how even in that hour, things came flooding back. 2 people asked if I had trained in Shotokan (this new school is a different style).

We watched Karate Kid (80s one) last night and she liked that. This was what got me into it all those years ago 😁
What club was that? I train with Go Kan Ryu, we are a mix of shotokan and goju styles.

As for karate kid, I definitely prefer the original to the remake, though it didn't set me down the karate path, I didn't start until I was 41!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

I am in rural Somerset so it's only a small club using local village hall.It says they are RyuKyu which is derived from Uechi Ryu. So Okinawa style than the Japanese Shotokan.

I got to brown and white belt before in Shotokan then stopped for GCSE revision. Can't remember why I did not go back, probably starting the new world of college opened my eyes to other things!

It's good to do something with my daughter. We need to get ourselves nice crisp Gi's.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Higgy wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:53 pm I am in rural Somerset so it's only a small club using local village hall.It says they are RyuKyu which is derived from Uechi Ryu. So Okinawa style than the Japanese Shotokan.

I got to brown and white belt before in Shotokan then stopped for GCSE revision. Can't remember why I did not go back, probably starting the new world of college opened my eyes to other things!

It's good to do something with my daughter. We need to get ourselves nice crisp Gi's.
It's good to go together :) I just got a new Gi, a lightweight Adidas one, European style rather than Japanese which I prefer, but I needed to go lightweight as the heavyweight ones I've been using are restricting my movement.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Well, glad to finally have this guy back on the workbench, but as a tool and not something to fix:

IMG20240512180538.jpg
IMG20240512180538.jpg (214.79 KiB) Viewed 825 times

It's been a bit of a weird one, but I posted before about corrupted key input, and I thought I'd fixed it, only for the issue to return.

This time I disconnected the battery and left it for close on 2 months and since reconnecting and charging it's been fine. I'm wary it could go again, but I've been testing it for a couple of weeks with no issues, so fingers crossed letting the board drain of any power seems to have done the trick.

At least I hope so as it's a perfect form factor for the workbench, but powerful enough to do all the stuff I need it to do, plus it has the advantage of running both Windows and Mac OS through boot camp.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

So frustrating to see this sort of thing: https://www.facebook.com/share/p/MCrypoFKFQrtUBTh/

But then I have to remind myself that my younger less experienced self has done this and we have to learn somehow.

I've given my advice and hope it'll help them, I guess we'll see.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:23 pm Well, glad to finally have this guy back on the workbench, but as a tool and not something to fix:

IMG20240512180538.jpg

It's been a bit of a weird one, but I posted before about corrupted key input, and I thought I'd fixed it, only for the issue to return.

This time I disconnected the battery and left it for close on 2 months and since reconnecting and charging it's been fine. I'm wary it could go again, but I've been testing it for a couple of weeks with no issues, so fingers crossed letting the board drain of any power seems to have done the trick.

At least I hope so as it's a perfect form factor for the workbench, but powerful enough to do all the stuff I need it to do, plus it has the advantage of running both Windows and Mac OS through boot camp.
Well, it seems my optimism that this was working again was misplaced. After less than a day, it went again. Wondering if it was an OS issue, I hit it with a complete rebuild of Catalina from the ground up, and it was a big fat nope again, keyboard input, even from USB keyboards was completely corrupted or not working at all.

Damn it...

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”