exxos blog - random goings on

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
PhilC

Re: exxos blog - random goings on

Post by PhilC »

Another suggestion that is similar to RJs above is to use a raspberry pi running footprint. It's a great tool with a good web interface.

Re the prints, not trying to be picky but personally I make the wall and top and bottom layers a little thicker.. prevents the prints from being transparent and provides better strength and on my printer at least, better quality wall finish.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

PhilC wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:18 pm Another suggestion that is similar to RJs above is to use a raspberry pi running footprint. It's a great tool with a good web interface.
I like simple though :)
PhilC wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:18 pm Re the prints, not trying to be picky but personally I make the wall and top and bottom layers a little thicker.. prevents the prints from being transparent and provides better strength and on my printer at least, better quality wall finish.
Yeah they are a bit transparent, but thats nothing which can be easily changed. Its not really noticeable once its all assembled anyway.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

0.12mm vs 0.20mm

No real difference unless you're really really looking at it closely.. The 0.20mm may well just have a fraction rougher finished, but it is basically not noticeable.

0.2mm seems a bit less transparent on the bottom oddly.

IMG_4039.JPG
IMG_4039.JPG (377.18 KiB) Viewed 9471 times
IMG_4040.JPG
IMG_4040.JPG (184.25 KiB) Viewed 9471 times
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PhilC wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:18 pm Another suggestion that is similar to RJs above is to use a raspberry pi running footprint. It's a great tool with a good web interface.

Re the prints, not trying to be picky but personally I make the wall and top and bottom layers a little thicker.. prevents the prints from being transparent and provides better strength and on my printer at least, better quality wall finish.
Also interesting, what wall/layer thickness are you using Phil? I'd be interested to compare against my Cura settings.

Repetier is nice, got it free, though there is a paid for version:
repet1.PNG
repet1.PNG (42.96 KiB) Viewed 9469 times
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

That's an interesting one. Next to no difference but, unexpectedly, the quality of the holes looks better on 0.2mm?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Better look at the nut holder..

IMG_4041.JPG
IMG_4041.JPG (195.36 KiB) Viewed 9467 times
IMG_4042.JPG
IMG_4042.JPG (202.91 KiB) Viewed 9467 times
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Nice.

:bravo:
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

PhilC wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:53 pm That's an interesting one. Next to no difference but, unexpectedly, the quality of the holes looks better on 0.2mm?
As far as I can see there is no difference... Though what could be throwing the view is that the 0.2mm holes are actually fractionally wider diameter...
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:52 pm

Also interesting, what wall/layer thickness are you using Phil? I'd be interested to compare against my Cura settings.
These are the ones set in Cura right now. I often print at 0.1 layer height, unless I need something quickly, so my print speeds etc are based on quality rather than speed.

Layer Height 0.1
Initial Layer Height 0.2
Line Width 0.4
Wall thickness 0.4 (also print at 0.8 at times depending on what its used for)
Wall Line count 2 (also print at 4 at times as above)
Top / Bottom thickness 0.6
Top and bottom layers 6
Top/Bottom Pattern: Lines
Ironing off
Horizontal expansion 0
Infill Density 50 (depends on use again, as I repair items for the wife nursery, so have to make them stronger and kid proof)
Infill Pattern Octet (cos I like the pattern :lol:)
Printing Temperature 200 (will depend on printer and material obviously)
Build plate temperature 60 (as above)
Flow 100%
Retraction Enabled
Retraction speed 40mm/s
Print Speed 60mm/s
Infil Speed 60mm/s
Outer Wall Speed 30mm/s
Inner Wall Speed 60mm/s
Top/Bottomg Speed 30mm/s
Initial Layer Speed 30mm/s
Print cooling enables
Fan speed 100%
Support enabled / everywhere / 50 degrees
Build plate adhesion Type Skirt (This helps me to check the bed is level before it starts wasting material on the main body of the print.

Other things: I use a glass textured heated bed and have stronger springs in the height adjuster for the bed. Also an Aluminium extruder feed mechanism. And the printer is an Ender 3. Only other thing I plan to do with it is to install stepper vibration dampers. Not for noise reduction as some do but to help in reducing backlash etc.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

exxos wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:00 pm
PhilC wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:53 pm That's an interesting one. Next to no difference but, unexpectedly, the quality of the holes looks better on 0.2mm?
As far as I can see there is no difference... Though what could be throwing the view is that the 0.2mm holes are actually fractionally wider diameter...
And I need to get some glasses :)

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”