Interested in 4 MB RAM upgrade

Upgrade your RAM from ST to Falcon.
ppyo

Re: Interested in 4 MB RAM upgrade

Post by ppyo »

exxos wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:58 pm Just lift the right hand side of the 68R resistors ( next to MMU ) and tie them to 5v.
Ok, I don't want to come across as facetious, but I want to be totally sure before I start the cutting and soldering. I don't want to damage my ST.

You keep referring to the resistors to lift as 68R, yet in the pic of the silly board that resistor and the ones next to it are untouched.
Now, I can see that in the Mega ST portion of the webpage the lifted resistors indeed are R68 and some others. But it is also evident that for the silly board different resistors were lifted. Unfortunately, the picture is quite blurry and the red cable gets in the way.
All I ask is if you could just please let us know the actual numbers of the resistors to lift for the silly board? Are we talking about resistors 90, 93, 94, and 91, lifted and connected to C89?
Thank you in advance for your kind help!
DoG

Post by DoG »

If you download the manual for Marpet/Frontier Xtra-RAM board it has info about how to deactivate RAM on different motherboards.
ppyo

Post by ppyo »

I am talking about these:

atari_st_silly_mb_zoom_in_for_upgrade.jpg
atari_st_silly_mb_zoom_in_for_upgrade.jpg (88.25 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

ppyo wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:46 pm Ok, I don't want to come across as facetious, but I want to be totally sure before I start the cutting and soldering. I don't want to damage my ST.
You've confused some terminology. Exxos isn't telling you to remove resistor R68, he's telling you to remove all the resistors that measure 68 Ohms (68R).

There are many different motherboard revisions, each with different resistor numbering schemes. Your best bet is to read the resistor code bands or measure the resistors around the RAM with a multimeter and snip one leg of them.

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

ppyo wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:00 pm I am talking about these:

atari_st_silly_mb_zoom_in_for_upgrade.jpg
4 resistors 68R (value, the ones you circled) , lift the right side of them 4 and tie to 5V.. that's all you do.. The other resistors (33R) don't matter..
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
ppyo

Post by ppyo »

It is evident I am no E-Engineer, right?
That is all I need to know. :)
Thank you very much!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Always best to make sure before doing stuff :)

Maybe you can post a new image so I can use it on my site ? Maybe help confusion for others.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
ppyo

Post by ppyo »

:dualthumbup: Will do!

Return to “RAM UPGRADES”