Gotek Q&A

Update your old 720k to a 1.44 drive etc.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Going Gotek - FlashFloppy How To

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Steve wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:56 am Rubber, I've ordered one of these with an oled display:
http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=38549

Will your instructions for setting up a usb drive be relevent for me? Thx
The Goex seems to use FlashFloppy, so I'd suggest that the same setup would probably be possible, however it uses an SD card rather than a USB stick. Functionally I'd expect it to be more or less the same.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
jacolover

Post by jacolover »

Thanks again rubber, all that info is great news and makes using the Gotek even more wonderful! Now, just need to add that display window mod on mine!
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

jacolover wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:29 am Thanks again rubber, all that info is great news and makes using the Gotek even more wonderful! Now, just need to add that display window mod on mine!
:thumbup:
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
JezC

Post by JezC »

Hi @rubber_jonnie

I've put a Gotek (with FF installed) in an external floppy drive case for sue with some of my STs which have a working internal floppy...
I tried the ST files in your earlier post & they work fine, so I was wondering how you created a new blank ST file to copy file into?

I've got STEEM installed on a PC (and I used that to write your 3x ST images onto a blank pen drive, so I was hoping to pick your brains for how to build up new ones?

I guess I could copy an existing one, rename it & delete all the contents in STEEM & add in my new files...but there may be a better/easier way?
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:35 pm Hi @rubber_jonnie

I've put a Gotek (with FF installed) in an external floppy drive case for sue with some of my STs which have a working internal floppy...
I tried the ST files in your earlier post & they work fine, so I was wondering how you created a new blank ST file to copy file into?

I've got STEEM installed on a PC (and I used that to write your 3x ST images onto a blank pen drive, so I was hoping to pick your brains for how to build up new ones?

I guess I could copy an existing one, rename it & delete all the contents in STEEM & add in my new files...but there may be a better/easier way?
I use Hatari for making blank images, it has an option in the floppy menu. It's simple and quick to do. Just make sure you eject the image and close Hatari before you copy it.
JezC

Post by JezC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:44 pm I use Hatari for making blank images, it has an option in the floppy menu. It's simple and quick to do. Just make sure you eject the image and close Hatari before you copy it.
Ah, ok - I will check for a similar feature in STEEM...never tried Hatari but itwould be interesting to compare them at some point.

:thanksblue:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:56 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:44 pm I use Hatari for making blank images, it has an option in the floppy menu. It's simple and quick to do. Just make sure you eject the image and close Hatari before you copy it.
Ah, ok - I will check for a similar feature in STEEM...never tried Hatari but itwould be interesting to compare them at some point.

:thanksblue:
I don't believe STEEM has a similar feature, which is why I ended up going to Hatari.
JezC

Post by JezC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:47 pm I don't believe STEEM has a similar feature, which is why I ended up going to Hatari.
No, you're correct - seems to be quite a process to create one in STEEM, so I am going to copy/rename & delete your memory test image & go from there...

The reason I chose STEEM is that it is/was one of the few emulators that could run some of the non-protected MIDI packages & actually work with synths etc.
Maybe I need to find out what the other options for doing this are (lots of other people seem to be using Hatari for their emulation/testing/developing).

What do you run it on - presumably a flavour of Linux?

Edit: Also, have you tried creating larger images (such as 80+ track, 10+ sector images rather than the usual 80 track & 9 sectors)?
I'm sure I've read <somewhere> about FF on the Gotek supporting bigger images (and I know that the HD support works if that is supported by the ST) but have not as yet tried it.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:02 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:47 pm I don't believe STEEM has a similar feature, which is why I ended up going to Hatari.
No, you're correct - seems to be quite a process to create one in STEEM, so I am going to copy/rename & delete your memory test image & go from there...

The reason I chose STEEM is that it is/was one of the few emulators that could run some of the non-protected MIDI packages & actually work with synths etc.
Maybe I need to find out what the other options for doing this are (lots of other people seem to be using Hatari for their emulation/testing/developing).

What do you run it on - presumably a flavour of Linux?

Edit: Also, have you tried creating larger images (such as 80+ track, 10+ sector images rather than the usual 80 track & 9 sectors)?
I'm sure I've read <somewhere> about FF on the Gotek supporting bigger images (and I know that the HD support works if that is supported by the ST) but have not as yet tried it.
No, I run Hatari under Windows 10, my only Linux machines are lab VMs I use for work stuff. Works absolutely fine. TBH I haven't tried larger images, as I've just never had the need.

I know somebody on the H4 track has set up for HD using a Gotek, so I'm sure it works just fine.

It's odd, people don't seem over keen on Hatari, but I prefer it to Steem for most things. I'm pretty sure that Hatari supports Midi too, though I have never tried it.
JezC

Post by JezC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:36 pm No, I run Hatari under Windows 10, my only Linux machines are lab VMs I use for work stuff. Works absolutely fine. TBH I haven't tried larger images, as I've just never had the need.

I know somebody on the H4 track has set up for HD using a Gotek, so I'm sure it works just fine.

It's odd, people don't seem over keen on Hatari, but I prefer it to Steem for most things. I'm pretty sure that Hatari supports Midi too, though I have never tried it.
Ah, fair enough, definitely worth installing beside STEEM on my Win 7 box then...might even be able to compare the two in action!
Will see if I can find a suitable MIDI app to try in both emulators when time allows..

Return to “FLOPPY DRIVES KITS & UPGRADES”