TFMSX Rev 2 Design Complete

Home for the Terriblefire MSX clone

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

TFMSX Rev 2 Design Complete

Post by terriblefire »

I've spent a good bit of time on this lately and its now off to get built. A huge number of fixes are down to things that @GadgetUK164 found during his build of the Rev1. Other things include: -

1. Fixing the sound circuit fixes to use an op amp and to buffer the cart sound.
2. fixing the joystick orientation,
3. A bunch of things on the PCB design that were spotted by my friend Madhacker (Acid traps, DRC improvements).
4. The placement of mount holes helped by @go0se
5. Allowing the ARM to generate sound (if the ARM model permits. Potentially SCC in the future on higher end ARMs.
6. Fixing the PPI_SND for the keyboard click.
7. Single jumper to switch support for the VDP versions (detected by the CPLD and pins pulled or floated appropriately).
8. Switchable inline 330R on the Sync line (Jumpered)
9. Dip switches for ROM selection (up to 4 different ROM sets - I imagine this can be used to switch between 50/60hz and MSX2/MSX2+ ROMS).
10. breakout pads added to allow a Jamma break out board in the future.

Oh and i fixed the most important bug... a typo on the Silkscreen. BangoGuyOllie has been changed to BanjoGuyOllie..

Probably other fixes i've forgotten.

tfmsxr2.png
tfmsxr2.png (143.91 KiB) Viewed 4151 times
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
adam

Re: TFMSX Rev 2 Design Complete

Post by adam »

Congratulations! Awesome achievement!
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

:bravo:

Well done !
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Well done.

Three words to say…..

Gimme gimme gimme
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Always been interested in MSX, is this based on MSX1 or MSX2? Are the custom chips able to be acquired from somewhere?
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Steve wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:55 pm Always been interested in MSX, is this based on MSX1 or MSX2? Are the custom chips able to be acquired from somewhere?
If you have a look, it can be either/both.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
Steve

Post by Steve »

It's not that I didn't look, I do see it supports both VDP's. But I don't know MSX architecture well enough to know if that is simply the only difference.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Steve wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:07 pm It's not that I didn't look, I do see it supports both VDP's. But I don't know MSX architecture well enough to know if that is simply the only difference.
There is an RTC and battery backed up ram which we wont be bothering with in the MSX2 standard. The RTC is required but will be faked to a hard coded date unless someone is really in the mood to find a way to squeeze a battery on there.

The VDP options here are MSX2 or MSX2+. But by using the correct ROM you could get MSX1/MSX2/MSX2+
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
Steve

Post by Steve »

Very awesome, thanks @terriblefire :)
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

terriblefire wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:47 pm There is an RTC and battery backed up ram which we wont be bothering with in the MSX2 standard. The RTC is required but will be faked to a hard coded date unless someone is really in the mood to find a way to squeeze a battery on there.
I s'pose that a "starting date/time" plus then running the clock whilst the machine powered on if a good work-around. Maybe in future some sort of serial net device could be hacked on to do an NTP date, possibly using an add-on ROM image.

Anyway, unless someone is going to use a disk drive and productivity software I'm not sure anyone will notice. :-)
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.

Return to “TFMSX”