DoG's DFB1 Build

Discussion and support for the DSTB1 & DFB1 boosters by BadWolf..
DoG

DoG's DFB1 Build

Post by DoG »

Started with my DFB now. Soldered in the big IC. I only had 256Mbit Alliance memory at hand at the moment so 64Mbyte will have to do. Soldered in the flash as well. Time for all the small passive components I guess.

DFB1_3.jpg
DFB1_3.jpg (254.89 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
Steve

Re: DoG's DFB1 Build

Post by Steve »

Nice :D Enjoy yourself when you have to do all the passives and resistor networks on the rear :) I recommend put on some chill-hop music and herbal tea.
DoG

Post by DoG »

Thanks for the tip :D Thinking coffee or Red Bull instead to hype my self up!

I just finished soldering a NetUSBee I got some time ago and it got some tight fitting 0603 on it. So probably gonna use same technic on the DFB and use a heat gun, solder paste and microscope.
Steve

Post by Steve »

On my first build I used paste and a heat gun. On my second build I just used my soldering iron and flux. Not sure which method I preferred more, but to be honest I think I had to clean-up/fix-up the heatgun job with the soldering iron and some flux anyway, so I think that's why I just went with soldering the second time around, ended up being quicker.
DoG

Post by DoG »

The big IC on the top I did with iron. But the small bird seed stuff centers so much easier with paste. Hard to use right amount when you hand apply it though. So often I have to go in and clean up with the iron as you said.
DoG

Post by DoG »

Hmm, I just found 512Mbit IC. Maybe change them later on when I have tested everything.
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

DoG wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:50 pm Started with my DFB now. Soldered in the big IC.
Looks great. Nice and straight.
Steve wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:03 pm Enjoy yourself when you have to do all the passives and resistor networks on the rear :)
Wimps! :lol:

It's pretty quick if you dole out the passives you want first then do all the same ones in one pass. I haven't done one in a while, but I doubt it takes more than 15 mins. It's all the through hole connectors and sockets that do my nut!

The *real* fun is when you get to the end, have one left over, and realise you've soldered up an old revision by mistake. :oops:

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
DoG

Post by DoG »

Badwolf wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:22 pm It's pretty quick if you dole out the passives you want first then do all the same ones in one pass. I haven't done one in a while, but I doubt it takes more than 15 mins. It's all the through hole connectors and sockets that do my nut!

The *real* fun is when you get to the end, have one left over, and realise you've soldered up an old revision by mistake. :oops:
The thru hole I just drag solder with a knife edge iron. I can't say that I have solder up any old revision of any of my projects... yet. But I can imagine yours going thru a lot of testing so you keep them at the same spot. :(
DoG

Post by DoG »

Just writing down for reference (from build video):

D1 = Red
D2 = Yellow
D3 = Green
D4 = Blue
D5 = White

Cathode is board edge.
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

DoG wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:11 pm Just writing down for reference (from build video):

D1 = Red
D2 = Yellow
D3 = Green
D4 = Blue
D5 = White

Cathode is board edge.
You can also do what I did on my current board:

D1 = Red
D2 = Also Red
D3-D5 = Can't be bothered.

:lol:

BW