Bikerbob's H5 C1 build

Share your building progress here!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bikerbob's H5 C1 build

Post by exxos »

The jack is for power. Its intended to give external power to ultrasatan etc. But its not documented as the intended sockets don't fit. But no reason a chassis mount jack couldn't be used.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

Well.. no joy on the Audio fix. Assuming I did it correct. - I know the pic does not show the solder joints the best.. but I have examined my jumpers they are separate and solid and clean.

audiofix.jpg
audiofix.jpg (262.88 KiB) Viewed 2392 times

SO, unfortunately I will go back to a basic setup.. just cpu, only, see if that does anything to rid the issue.. it is an RF issue.. there are lines that "shake" with disk access and a constant white noise in the background.. Have to figure something out.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Bikerbob wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:20 am there are lines that "shake" with disk access and a constant white noise in the background.. Have to figure something out.
Sounds like a bad PSU. Though not sure what else could cause that. But I would check all the glue joints as it deals with a lot of the system like sound and video etc.

Taking stuff back to stock and keeping it simple is a good idea.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Bikerbob wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:20 am Well.. no joy on the Audio fix. Assuming I did it correct. - I know the pic does not show the solder joints the best.. but I have examined my jumpers they are separate and solid and clean.

audiofix.jpg
The points you've soldered up are already connected by traces on the board.

I've put jumpers on the module header like this on my board.

DSC_2133.JPG
DSC_2133.JPG (195.66 KiB) Viewed 2363 times

1 & 2 on the other points are left and right and 4 is ground.
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

exxos wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:37 am
Bikerbob wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:20 am there are lines that "shake" with disk access and a constant white noise in the background.. Have to figure something out.
Sounds like a bad PSU. Though not sure what else could cause that. But I would check all the glue joints as it deals with a lot of the system like sound and video etc.

Taking stuff back to stock and keeping it simple is a good idea.
Well I have had the same thing happen with 3 PSU.. 2 of the 3 with new caps.

I will look at the GLUE.. and also try this all again with a very basic setup.. see what I get.

DaveC - so you're saying that those jumpers are all I really needed to do? Bummer.. well it's done now.. I will not be adding any midi stuff.. so I will leave the soldered jumpers I have installed.

James
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I think you need to work on one problem at a time. Take the machine back to stock, and use the VGA socket and a compatible monitor and see if the video improves.

I've never seen RF issues on any of the remake boards, so don't know how that's even possible. Floppy doesn't have anything to do with video, the only common thing is the power. I've used a recapped original PSU without issues on all the remake boards. Could it be you're overloading the original PSU with all the addons you have ? What happens on video test on the diagnostic cartridge ?
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

exxos wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:10 am I think you need to work on one problem at a time. Take the machine back to stock, and use the VGA socket and a compatible monitor and see if the video improves.

I've never seen RF issues on any of the remake boards, so don't know how that's even possible. Floppy doesn't have anything to do with video, the only common thing is the power. I've used a recapped original PSU without issues on all the remake boards. Could it be your overloading the original PSU with all the addons you have ? What happens on video test on the diagnostic cartridge ?
Same issues on Diagnostic cart (exxos version) ... I will remove the addons tomorrow, and do some more testing.. It does it if I remove the floppy drive.. the background white noise is there no matter.

Anyway.. I will post tomorrow my results.

James
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Bikerbob wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:45 am DaveC - so your saying that those jumpers are all I really needed to do? Bummer.. well it done now.. I will not be adding any midi stuff.. so I will leave the soldered jumpers I have installed.

James
The jumpers you've installed aren't grounding the left/right audio channels though, you've just soldered left to left and right to right on different connectors. They're already connected together by traces on the board, so you haven't actually done what was needed for the audio fix, hence the continuing noise.
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

DaveC wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:26 am
Bikerbob wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:45 am DaveC - so your saying that those jumpers are all I really needed to do? Bummer.. well it done now.. I will not be adding any midi stuff.. so I will leave the soldered jumpers I have installed.

James
The jumpers you've installed aren't grounding the left/right audio channels though, you've just soldered left to left and right to right on different connectors. They're already connected together by traces on the board, so you haven't actually done what was needed for the audio fix, hence the continuing noise.
Oh... sorry then I guess I read the drawing wrong. SO your jumpers do what I need?? I can remove my solder points and just put on those jumpers?
(might be cleaner - I'll just solder in a small jumper block to cover that section)

OR you say "4 is ground, so on those other points.. if i just combine 1,2,4 - does that do what I need?

James
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

The drawing shows the traces on the board, that's why I did it the way I did as I'd already soldered a header in place.

But yes you can do it either of those 2 ways.

Return to “H5 C1 USER BUILDS”