Atari STe 1040 trashing UltraSatan SD card

The place to ask all those likely daft questions!
zChris

Re: Atari STe 1040 trashing UltraSatan SD card

Post by zChris »

@Badwolf
Aha! I have to redo the measurements with 16ms/s. I had several sessions at the bottom but i guess it only saves the session that is active. So what you are looking at is the last session where i was pressing reset while probing it.
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

zChris wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:03 pm @Badwolf
Aha! I have to redo the measurements with 16ms/s. I had several sessions at the bottom but i guess it only saves the session that is active. So what you are looking at is the last session where i was pressing reset while probing it.
32 if you can get there.

Clock should still be oscillating even in reset. AS should be high.

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
zChris

Post by zChris »

Here i have used 16ms/s as per BadWolfs advice. There are two files one recording RESET HALT AS BERR on a good atari ste with coldboot and three resets with the resets button, and another recording but on the bad atari.

Can be downloaded here https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/162fff6b ... ueto4xhz7w
zChris

Post by zChris »

Good news! Did some ohm measuring on the pins of the 68 cpu and it turned out that A16 was shorted to ground and i luckily found it pretty quick. Was some solder on P102 it seems. So now im getting into TOS. Now i just have to find a DMA that is not IMP to test.

Thanks for all the help and time i've gotten :)
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

:bravo: :girldance: :girldance: :girldance:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

zChris wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:35 pm Good news! Did some ohm measuring on the pins of the 68 cpu and it turned out that A16 was shorted to ground and i luckily found it pretty quick. Was some solder on P102 it seems. So now im getting into TOS. Now i just have to find a DMA that is not IMP to test.

Thanks for all the help and time i've gotten :)
It's definitely worthwhile investing in a decent magnifying glass or microscope :)

Glad you found it :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
zChris

Post by zChris »

Unfortunatly the original problem is not resolved.

Maybe the USatan i have have something against original ataris? It does not work on two STe, which both having HC cpu and one of them have the resistor fix on it. Both did use exxos PSU at when testing. USatan does however work on the H4 with IMP DMA chip.

STe 1 + HC (NO RESISTOR) had C398739-001A DMA chip = Did not work
STe 2 + HC + RESISTOR + IMP DMA = Did not work
STe 2 + HC + RESISTOR + -38 DMA = Did not work
H4 + IMP DMA = Does work
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

The C398739-001A should work. I think you have some other problem going on, maybe a bad DB19 connector or something like blown buffer chips or something.

I saw your wanted thread. But if you already have a C398739-001A DMA then DMA chip its likely not the problem. Your done all the mods I think now. Can you format a floppy without errors ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Do you have a bog standard 1040 ST of some sort, so not H4, not STE, that you can try it on?

If not, and you're willing (I'm assuming you're in the UK) to cover the cost of postage I would be willing to test the US on my machines.

I have ST/F/M/Es, Megas, an H4 and Mega STE I could test on, and it would at least prove the US one way or the other.

Entirely up to you, but the offer is there.

Also, which driver are you using again?
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
zChris

Post by zChris »

Sadly the C398 chip is soldered on my brothers atari ste so i havent tested it in my ste. Atm i dont have a "proper" chip to put in the STE other than the original IMP one.
exxos wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:45 pm The C398739-001A should work. I think you have some other problem going on, maybe a bad DB19 connector or something like blown buffer chips or something.

I saw your wanted thread. But if you already have a C398739-001A DMA then DMA chip its likely not the problem. Your done all the mods I think now. Can you format a floppy without errors ?

Return to “NOOB QUESTIONS”