Connecting STfm to a screen

The place to ask all those likely daft questions!
fill-ST

Connecting STfm to a screen

Post by fill-ST »

Hi all. I know this is basic stuff But I am in the process of trying to get my STfm up and running after more than 20 years in storage. I just picked up a ST to vga cable but unfortunately I am getting an "Out of Range" message on my screen, I think the ST resolution maybe too low for the screen. Any suggestions for getting my ST connected to a screen and visible. Thanks.
Atari fan from my 800xl to my STfm
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Connecting STfm to a screen

Post by exxos »

There is a sub forum all about this stuff https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=30
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Out of range means you're likely to trying to run in low res and your VGA display won't work with a 15khz signal. You need a suitable display or a cable that works in hi res.

Ideally you want to use a VGA switcher that'll work with low/med & hi res rather than a cable that only works with one or the other.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
fill-ST

Post by fill-ST »

Thanks for the reply @rubber_jonnie, It's a bit of a minefield. I have seen some VGA to HDMI convertors that seem to work well but unfortunately my monitor doesn't have HDMI port. I have also seen wiring diagrams to convert from the ST to a VGA low resolution monitor but not sure if this will be colour or monochrome. Are you able to recommend a VGA switcher that will work with low/med and hi res?
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

fill-ST wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:12 pm Thanks for the reply @rubber_jonnie, It's a bit of a minefield. I have seen some VGA to HDMI convertors that seem to work well but unfortunately my monitor doesn't have HDMI port. I have also seen wiring diagrams to convert from the ST to a VGA low resolution monitor but not sure if this will be colour or monochrome. Are you able to recommend a VGA switcher that will work with low/med and hi res?
There were some in the store here: https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/#0170 though unfortunately out of stock at the moment.

Best also do them, though Best's is more of a cable IIRC.

It's not a case of which switcher will work with low/med/high res. If they are designed to switch, they will work, however your VGA display will need to work at 15Khz to work in low/med res.

Low/med res are colour, Hi res is mono, and yes, the wiring does affect what you get, hence why the switchers are wired to do both.

Hi res will work with almost any VGA display, though you may find you get banding on the desktop, but this can be tweaked out using your display settings.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
xav2075

Post by xav2075 »

Last month I got a OSSC video converter from Aliexpress.com for £87 delivered to the UK. Using my Atari STE with a ST video ouput to VGA cable going into the OSSC input and then from the OSSC HDMI ouput I use a HDMI to VGA converter which finally goes to a CRT vga monitor.

I have tried different retro computers and consoles with the OSSC and so far I have had best luck with the Atari STE. A vibrant and sharp picture.
fill-ST

Post by fill-ST »

I found a list of suitable monitors on 15khz.wikidot.com and managed to pick up a used Dell P2210T in good condition and also an ST to VGA cable. So far so good :D

Return to “NOOB QUESTIONS”